Friday, May 25, 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene (4)



(Trailer)

A damaged girl tries to reconnects with her sister after running away from an abusive cult.

This movie was on almost every must see movies of 2011 list. I can see why it was but I don't think it was on my top 10.

I agree that it was a knew take on a psychological thriller. I liked that it kept a steady pace as it slowly builds while the story reveals itself. I also know it worked as a thriller because I couldn't stop thinking about it once it was over and am still thinking about it. Not obsessively, but almost unconsciously.

While the movie had the perfect pace that helped keep the tone steady I felt like it at least had to end with a bang (literally). There were a few heightened scenes, and I respect the script for not having that one key climax, but that being said it still needed that push at the end that would stick with you.

Elizabeth Olsen was amazing. I'm not sure if I saw a physical change but she owned the emotional scenes...and really, there was nothing but emotional scenes.

Great drama. I liked the story. I can't think of any other movie that looks at cults/sects without turning it into a crazy horror or weird comedy. This one just told a realistic yet disturbing story that didn't seem far from the truth. That helped I seem a little more creepy...

Good performances and an interesting and character rich script made for an eye opening movie that stays with you. I just don't know if it was enough to stick with my for the long haul.

Worth the watch.

4/5

2 comments:

  1. As I can't figure out how to message you any other way I just wanted to say THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! I've found so many good films through this site and your reviews and ratings are always dead-on. Keep up the good work fellow film aficionado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, I wrote a lovely long reply and it didn't post. No fun. That's what I get for going mobile...

    Thank you so much, I really appreciate the comment!! Sorry about the no email but in the early days all I got were angry messages so I took my personal info off. Feel free to tweet me at any time to talk movies and thanks again for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...