Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Way Back (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

2010, Directed by Peter Weir.

A young man is reported as a spy and sent to a Russian soviet prison in Serbia during the second world war. There he meets many people who together form a plan and escape from the prison. They now must travel 4,000 miles to freedom in India through harsh weather and terrain while battling each other and their own pasts.

I hadn't heard of this movie until it popped up on a website I use for streaming sometimes. I generally like journey/adventure type films and am always a sucker for history flicks, especially based on a true story stories, so I thought I would check it out. While it's not the best thing I've ever seen there were a lot of things about it that I really liked.

The main cast is amazing: Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris, Colin Farrell and Saoirse Ronan. They worked really well together.

I have had my eye on Jim Sturgees ever since Across the Universe came out and I've had an even bigger interest since I found out he was the voice of Soren in

Legend of the Guardians. I always love when actors span out into all types of films/genres, that's usually how you can tell if they are passionate enough to try new things and broaden their talents. I look forward to Jim's career.

Ed Harris, you really cannot go wrong with him. 'Nough said there.

Colin Farrell was quite good in this movie. I'm not sure what happened but he went from promising to crap and now back to awesome again. It's nice to see. If this movie and his role in In Brugesare foreshadowing his career to come then I'm really looking forward to what he has to offer.

Saoirse Ronan. Who, you may ask. In my opinion the world should be looking out for this girl, she's knocking these tough rolls dead and asking for more. First time I really noticed her was in Atonement as that annoying, life ruining little sister. Then I noticed her in The Lovely Bones and now I liked her in this role. That's quite the career so far with challenging roles but each time she really nails them. I cannot wait to see her in the upcoming film Hanna which looks absolutely amazing in every way!

The journey is what makes this movie so great. The fact that people actually walked that far and came out free on the other side is amazing to me. While there were large chunks of their journey that was completely left out, and had to be or else the film would've been 5 hours long, you can still get a good idea of what these people went through. Cannot believe it was a true story...can't imagine that.

I felt like the movie should've just ended when they reached India. I understand that they wanted to give us a little more on the main character but the ending seemed so removed from the other 90% of the film that I really didn't care about it when it came around. Also, they didn't give us enough on the main character, other than his skills as a woodsman, so when it came to him and his wife I really had no emotional context at all. Although I liked seeing the history and they showed it in an interesting way with his feet and what not...definitely made the movie end in a tone that was different to the rest of the movie.

I felt like at the end they rushed everything way too much. They may have lingered just a little too long at the beginning with them getting to that lake. After that I felt like them walking 4,000 was a breeze and seemed like a normal day rather than an escape. I kind of get that but also felt distracted more than anything.

Still. Seeing what they went through and knowing more about the Soviets during WWII was important to see. How the characters acted towards one another as their journey progressed and seeing how far people will go to survive was well done and interesting to watch. Over all, an enjoyable yet emotional and epic movie.

3.5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...